Making the Cut
A couple of months ago I posted about a trip to the theatre to see a double bill of the Importance of Being Ernest and Travesties, and the lovely costumes. One of the outfits I really liked was a simple blouse, with short sleeves and a contrast collar. I was just considering if I would dust off my (not very good) pattern drafting skills, when I came across Colette Patterns' new fall design Jasmine. Which was just what I was looking for. I decided to treat myself to the pattern and, as I was ordering, I also got another pattern for the Macaron dress.
I already had some nice flowered cotton, which I bought a couple of years ago, in my stash, so all I needed was the contrast fabric. This turned out to be more difficult than I expected as I couldn't find the right blue to match the flowers, so instead settled on a blueish sage green. I'm still not quite sure about it, but I'm going to give it ago.
I started on the pattern cutting last week. The pieces are cut on the bias (at 45degrees to the straight line of the fabric) which means they have a bit more stretch in them. Allowing the top to be constructed without any closures. I've made enough mistakes in cutting fabric, cord going the wrong way, pattern-upside-down, not enough fabric to cut everything out, you name it, I've probably done it. But, for once, learning from my mistakes I gave myself plenty of time on Sunday afternoon to cut everything out. I seem to have the correct number of pieces, all with the pattern running the right way, so its onto the sewing now.
|Not a great picture, but it was dark by the time I'd finished|