Fair Isle Fanatic

I'm not ashamed to admit it, in recent months I have become a bit of a fair isle fanatic where my knitting is concerned. I like the colour combinations you can get and the way the patten grows as you knit.

It all started over the summer with a special request for the son of a friend. Last  year I made Nye a pirate jumper which become something of a favorite and a source of TV inspiration. Unfortunately, as small children will insist on growing he is now to big for the jumper, and I offered to make him a bigger version. To avoid upsetting his little sister, I also made her a little hat.



 


I can't say to much about my next fair isle project as it might be making an appearance under someones Christmas tree this day next month. All I can say is that I love it, and I think I might well be making another one for myself.






My latest fair isle project is designed to make use of some beautiful camel wool from the snow leopard trust which I received as a present some time ago. I thought the colours would be nice together and I fancies a new hat, so I searched on ravelry until I found this one. It started off very well, I had to go down to Kilkenny on the train on Friday, so I got loads done and it was looking great.


I didn't do a tension square, which lets be honest I often don't, which may have been a bit of a mistake in this case. I noticed that a few people on ravelry had said that the pattern turned out a bit big but I have quite a big head, so I thought it would be OK. Well, big it certainly is...


Not my most successful project! So, I'll be ripping this one, and decreasing the needle size and number of stitches, and starting again. But, on the bright side, there is a whole hat more of fair isle to be done!


Comments