Puffin Sweater

It was my birthday a couple of days ago, and my sister-out-of-law sent me this beautiful hand drawn card.


Inside she mentioned she hoped to see more of my knitting on my blog, which gave me the push I needed to get back to blogging. Plus, I have a recently completed project, or two, to share.


I've been planning to knit this jumper for three years, it has been on the needles since January, and I'm so pleased I have finally finished it.

The pattern is Puffin Sweater from Kate Davies' Colours of Shetland. It is knit from the bottom up, in 4-ply, which means there is A LOT of black stockinette knitting. Especially as I had to re knit the sleeve.

I managed to get the tension fairly spot on by going down a needle size, and had no problem with the body of the jumper. However, when I started on a sleeve things didn't go so well. It turned out a very odd shape (the rate of increase was too fast) and it was enormous above the elbow - I could get both my arms into it. I double the gap between increases, and finished with a fifth less stitches than in the pattern and it worked out OK.


When I finally got to the puffin detail, I had to cut out a couple of repeats, to compensate for the stitches I'd taken out of the arms, but it work out fine.

I had plenty of left overs from my puffin jumper, some of which went straight into a making a rainbow Scatness Tam, also from Colours of Shetland.


I'm off on a knitting holiday next week with my mum, we are going on a knitting holiday to the Faroe Islands (I know - exciting), and I think my new hat and sweater and going to be just the thing :)

Comments

  1. Hello Hazwool, good to have you back! A bit puzzled about (lovely) jumper ... where is the puffin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern on the yoke is supposed to be puffin like - although possibly not if you can't see it!

      Delete
    2. Well yes .....
      Puffin beaks I suppose now you mention it.

      Delete
  2. Love the card. Is it from NZ ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried on a dress once that looked a bit like this. Years ago. I still regret not buying it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment