Miss Bennett's Gingerbread and other treats

The boyfriend's sister, not the one who just got married but his other sister who lives in New Zealand, was home for the family wedding and brought me this book as a present


The book not only looks pretty, but is full of delicious looking home baking recipes. The author has taken recipes from a range of older New Zealand cookery books collected and borrowed by her, and recipes handed down from family and friends.. Each recipe is accompanied by information on the source and/or a little story. Its a lovely book to read, and also based on my first two experiments also to cook from.

Last week I tried Treacle Scones (or soda farls), the recipe come from an early twentieth century book produced by the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction for Ireland, and is delicious. Treacly spicy scones, which are extremely good toasted with butter.



My next experiment was Miss Bennett's Gingerbread, a sticky gingery treat made with a slightly alarming amount of golden syrup, yum yum!


With all this baking, and so many recipes to try I think I better start holding some tea parties.

Comments

Post a Comment