Is sewing the new knitting? or should that be the new baking?

Over the last years as knitting has grown in popularity, there has been a noticeable increase in the number and variety of knitting magazine available; from part works teaching knitting to magazines stuffed full of beautiful and complicated designs. Over the last few months I have noticed that the knitting magazines are being joined by a new crop of sewing magazine. I bought my first sewing mag a few weeks ago, partly as I wanted the free pattern but also to see what it was like. While I don't think I'd buy one every week, I did find parts of it quite an interesting read and I'll certainly make one or two of the pattern.

It seems to me that this is part of a growing trend which has seen sewing regain its place in the popular hearts and minds. Its true it has not yet reached the point that people who find out about my sewing say 'ah yes, sewing ... that's becoming quite trendy now', which is the unvarying response I get when people find out I'm a knitter. 

Then what do you know, just to put the stamp on the place of sewing as the next big thing, the BBC transfer their popular British Bake Off format to The Great British Sewing Bee. The format is much the same, 8 sewing enthusiasts compete in a range of challenges to be crowed winner of the Sewing Bee, and avoid the weekly cull. As a huge fan of the Great British Bake Off and an avid home dress maker, you would think this would be the show for me. 


The contestants were a good mix, May and Patrick are more than adequate replacements for Mary and Paul, I can put up with Claudia (sorry she is no Mel & Sue), and the sewing room they work in makes me green with envy. However, while it was enjoyable, I have to agree with Sam Wollaston, and his girlfriend, in The Guardian that sewing just doesn't seem to make such good telly as baking. (Although I can see why sewing seemed a more sensible punt than knitting, can you imaging the tasks - you have 3 days to knit a cabled cardigan).

Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the show, and I'll certainly be watching again next week. I hope too, that the show might encourage people to take up sewing and find out the fun and creative outlet it can bring. Although it might be just as well for first timers not to have May and Patrick watching their every move, it would certainly make my foot quake on my sewing machine pedal! Also, while the programme includes a weekly 'how to make ...' section, I'm not sure how helpful it would be for a novice - they flew through how to make a laundry bag in a few seconds. 

Any one else watch the show? What did you think?

Comments