Pattern Review: New Look 6078

At the beginning of December I completed my 1950s black cord dress, and expressed the intention of making a silk shirt to go with it. Although I had a pattern in my stash, and bought the silk to make the shirt straight away, I prevaricated about starting. I'd never worked with silk before, and I think that made me a bit nervous. However, a couple of weeks ago I finally plucked up the courage to get sewing.

I'm really pleased with the result, and this is probably one of the best sewn items of clothing I've made. I used French seams throughout, and spent ages getting the collar attached . I didn't quite get it on straight and there is a bit of overlap on the collar and button hole band, but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased. The pattern instructions were very clear and this really helped. I found the little triangular buttons in Hickeys, I really like them and think they work very well with the look of the shirt.

I'm certainly planning to use this pattern again, I think a spotted version would be really cute, or a perhaps a more casual patterned one. But, in the meantime I have a very posh silk shirt to go with my black dress and have made myself a two items which can be worn together, not something I'm always great at doing.


  1. This is such a lovely blouse! French seams are such a neat finish for a blouse!
    Love the combination with the dress!


Post a Comment