So, I accidentally bought four knitting books ...

... well, I guess only three were an accident - the first one I meant to buy.

Last month the boyfriend's sister in New Zealand sent me a link to a blog post by her local library to mark knitting in public day, which reviewed some of the knitting books they had in their collection. (For those who are interested the post is here). I was really impressed with the range of books they had, and was especially taken with Nikol Lohr's Literary Knits.


Given that I collected literary figures who knit, what could be better suited to me than a book of knitting patterns inspired by characters in literature. I was tempted just by the premise but as soon as I saw there was an Anne of Green Gables puffed sleeved tops I was sold. I loved Anne of Green Gables.


As it was my birthday last month, I decided to treat myself to a copy. However, when I went to buy it on Amazon it wasn't enough on its own for free postage - so I decided to treat myself to another book. But which one, there were two on my waiting list?


Jane Austen Knits would fit in nicely with the literary knitter theme, but Coronation Knits had been waiting longer, plus it has a pattern for a jumper with a lion and a unicorn and who doesn't need one of those.


Decision making is not my strong point so I decided to go with both, but, before I could get to the check out I made the fateful error of looking in the 'People who bought this also bought' section and I saw this.


Knitting and history, possible too of my favourite things, and Tudor history as well. The fourteen patterns in the book are inspired by fourteen Tudor ladies from Elizabeth Woodville through to Elizabeth the First. The patterns are amazing, in detail, design and construction. 


This dark and seductive temptress is Catherine Howard; a pattern fit for a Queen - if a short lived one. I think this my favourite of the designs in the book, although it was a hard choice. The book itself is beautiful, more like an art book than a knitting book - with gorgeous photographs and the beautifully styled knitwear.  

All four books have made there way into my collection, and despite a little bit of buyer remorse when I first clicked on the check out button, I didn't regret it once the parcel arrived. My only problem now is that I can't decide which pattern from which book to knit first.

Just to finish off the post, here is a pic of for me the Anne of Green Gables and her Gilbert.


Comments

  1. I've been reading your blog for quite awhile now and really enjoy your writing as well as your sense of humor (this post had me laughing out loud a couple of times). I admire your phenomenal sewing skills (I'm not really much of a seamstress myself but know quality when I see it), but I am a knitter and enjoy seeing your knitted items. I like the fact that your blog isn't full of the advertisements and "buy me a coffee" signs that one finds on many other blogs. You obviously write for the sheer enjoyment of it, and I am sure that I am only one of many who very much appreciate your intelligent approach to blogging. Thank you for sharing your talents with us! Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, it made me very happy. I do sometimes wonder if anyone (aside from my mum) is reading my blog, and I'm delighted that it has brought you some enjoyment. Your right, I do blog because I enjoy it, but it always nice to hear that other people enjoy reading it to :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, there's some pretty fine stuff here! I think I would be right in surmising that the Tudors didn't wear much in the way of knitted garments, brocade and velvet being more their thing, but the interpretation of the Tudor look in the two pictures you posted is really impressive. I can definitely see myself attempting one of them. And indeed, it had never crossed my mind how essential it is for us all to have a Lion and Unicorn jumper. It was you who knitted a pair of Royal Corgis for some Jubilee or other wasn't it??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment