Finished Project: A Rialto Quince

When on a trip to London in September I couldn't resist Kim Hargreaves' (then) latest pattern book, Embrace, when I came across it while browsing in Liberty. I'm a fan of her designs, as can be seen from the number of her pattern books already on my shelves. 

There are several designs which went straight on to my 'to knit 'list. Embrace is described as a collection of designs with a 70s flare that 'moves effortlessly from the fading glow of summer into the welcoming arms of autumn'. I was certainly feeling fairly autumnal when I picked the design Quince, a cable and braided cardigan, and matched it with some rusty orange Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran wool. The wool had been in my stash for a relatively short time, just a year. I picked it up at the 2014 HandmAid sale. It wasn't just the colour that attracted me, but also that I live in an area of Dublin called Rialto!


(I'm not entirely sure why the boyfriend decided to cut my head off in all the pictures)

I did make a couple of changes to the pattern - it is written to be knitted in pieces but I changed it so the body was worked in one piece and the sleeves in the round. It worked fairly well, and the only sewing I needed to do was setting in the sleeves. I had a bit of trouble getting the gauge on this project, and ended up knitting a size x-small and getting about a small. I also added a few centimetres to the sleeves as I like them long, and I'm happy with the fit overall. The buttons are self-cover ones made up from a quarter of Liberty fabric, I love the combination of orange and green.

Overall, the pattern was clear and easy to follow, plus I got all the cables the right way round (yay!), the wool is beautifully soft, and the cardi is warm and cosy. As it has taken me nearly six months to knit, we are well past the 'welcoming arms of autumn' and into the cold grip of winter (and hopefully soon out the other side) but I'm sure I'll still get plenty of wear out my Quince.


Outfit details
(I'm always impressed when I see other bloggers include a piece like this. 
However, I've never really done it, as I'm not normally organised enough to pick a
 proper outfit for my photos, but this time I have made a (bit) more of an effort)

Cardigan - you know I made it :)
T-shirts - also made by me (pattern is Gertie's Knit Sweetheart Top)
Necklace - 'vintage' coral, I guess, it was my aunt's
Mug - a Christmas present, thanks Secret Santa

Comments

  1. That's a very cute cardigan! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Would like to make one too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment