Crochet-a-long Chaos

Some of the ladies in the Rathmines Knitting Group thought it would be a good idea to have a crochet-a-long on Tuesday nights so we could all improve our crochet together. We selected a pattern on ravelry, Klamath Shawl, and all agreed to bring along some yarn and a hook on Tuesday to start. Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there ...

A combination of a lack of experience, confusion of terms - English or American stitches? and, I think, a not entirely clearly written pattern and we were rather at sea! Several budding crochets were entirely put off, while one or two more struggled on, I managed about 6 rows of the pattern. I gave up entirely on the written pattern and changed to the chart which I found much easier.


Unfortunately, after all that work I don't really like what I have produced. I think the problem is the texture of the shawl is too dense, I'd like it to be a bit lacier and lighter. I did however, for the first time really enjoy the process of crochet, which as I have mentioned before has not always been the case! So I have decided that I will preserver with my attempts to crochet a shawl, just not this one. I've searched ravelry for a pattern to use with the same wool (Colinette Jitterbug) and decided on the Elise Shawl. So fingers crossed that my new found love of crochet continues!

Comments

  1. It's a pity the klamath shawl didn't turn out well for you. I'm planning on making the Elise shawl as my first crochet shawl. Hoping it will be easy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!!! I'll let you know how I get on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment